Friday, January 30, 2009

You Gotta Have Friends

I'm no comedian, in fact I'm pretty dry, but I think I can hold my own when it comes to humor, quick wit, and the occasional stinger (when/if provoked). I'm usually pretty original, too. Sometimes, though, there are just no better words than those of my 'friends': Ross, Rachel, Monica, Joey, Chandler, and Phoebe. And believe you me, I don't hesitate to quote them verbatim. I swear, almost every funny and outlandish thing that happens in life can be referenced back to an episode of, in my opinion, the best sitcom ever. Even the most routine, stupid, inconsequential thoughts that go through your head have probably been the topic of conversation while at Central Perk. I think back, a couple of years ago, my best friend and I attempted to move a 7-foot, gazillion-pound armoire up the steps to her foyer, all the while barely moving an inch at a time because we were too busy laughing and yelling, 'pivot!'. Thanks Ross, Chandler, and Rachel for that memory. I can't count how many times I've used Joey's line, 'how you doin'?', or intentionally air-quoted the wrong phrase. That one gets a giggle out of me every time! The most recent reference, however, has been with regards to the fashion craze of knee boots worn with everything - jeans, skirts, shorts, sweat pants, lingerie, etc. etc. The epi where Monica buys the expensive boots, claims that she'll wear them with everything, then ends up nearly being crippled by them? Hilarious! And the episodes, now that I think about it, were always appropriately titled: 'the one where...'. It was as if the writers knew that someday the show would be so darn quotable and made it easy for us to give props to the character who said it. If I had a nickel for every time I said, 'remember the one where...'. Even though Thursday nights have forever been changed, it's a good thing true friendships (and comedy) last forever, even if only in syndication.

LMN

No comments: